10 Most Useful Travel Tips to Vaishno Devi
Here is a list of 10 useful travel tips to Vaishno Devi, which you may find handy when visiting Vaishno Devi.
1. If you have Army connection, you can get special passes from the Army Counter near Banganga. These passes help you jump the general queue and darshan will be much quicker.
2. Prasad is available at the Bhawan and you don’t need to carry it all the way up from Katra.
3. There are ample places to eat en-route to Vaishno Devi shrine. Travel light and enjoy the trek.
4. Battery operated autos (apparently only for senior citizens) available only during the day.
5. Yatra Registration Slip is a must and can be obtained for free from Yatra Registration Counter at Katra.
6. You need to cross the first check post at Banganga within 6 hrs of issuance of the Yatra Slip.
7. Beware of emotional blackmailers: Someone may approach you on the pretext that he/she has lost her wallet and need money to reach back home. DO NOT entertain. If you have to, escort them to a nearby police post.
8. There are a good number of hotels and other places to stay in Katra.
9. Rush Hour: New Year’s eve, Navratras and summer vacation (May-June) are the most crowded periods.
10. Helicopter Service to Vaishno Devi: Take a helicopter ride from Katra to Sanjhichatt helipad. Check how?
If you have been to Vaishno Devi, please share some useful tips to visit Vaisho Devi that helped you in your travel in the comments below.
More on Vaishno Devi
Read my travel story: Mata Vaishno Devi – A Trip of Faith
A First Timer’s Guide to Vaishno Devi
Hi Karteek, thank you for stopping by. Without an ID Card, it would be difficult to get the passes.
My father is in army and we plan to going to vaishno devi but the problem is my father lost their id card..so how can we take this facility?
Yes, any time is safe…as long as weather is fine. Anyone travelling in Dec-Jan should check weather forecast in the region.
Hi Vishal, the helipad is about 2 km from Bus Stand Katra on Udhampur Road. The fare is in the range of 1200 to 1500 (one way).
For horses should we book before? Is it safe?
what is ride fare for in heilcopter
where can i book it
Is it safe to go during Jan?
Try months like February when it is not too cold and the same time not crowded. While darshan can be quicker, original gufa would be opened as the queue is easy to manage.
Thanks a lot Shikha for stopping by and sharing your experiences..!
It is always better to travel up wearing shoes and carry an umbrella during rains. Also, they have a decent medical facility at Bhawan in case you are travelling with sick or elderly people.
Thanks for stopping by. If your cousins are in Army, they can very much find out what is required. As far as I know, they ask for ID proof from armed and paramilitary personnel. For civilians, it only works through contacts. All the best.
Thanks for the tips. I have some cousins working in armed forces (army/airforce).
Can you please tell me what they have to provide me so that I can obtain a VIP pass at bhawan? I mean what is the format of recommendation letter ?