Char Dham Yatra 2017 Opening Dates
- Yamunotri Temple Opening Date : 28 April 2017
- Gangotri Temple Opening Date: 28 April 2017
- Kedarnath Temple Opening Date: 29 April 2017
- Badrinath Temple Opening Date: 1 May 2017
Every year hundred thousands of devotees eagerly wait for the opening of Char Dham Yatra. Char Dhams or the four sacred shrines – Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath and Bandrinath – in the Garhwal Himalayas remain inaccessible in winter due to heavy snowfall in the region. It is only in summer when snow melts and roads are cleared, the Char Dham Yatra begins.
The Hemkund Sahib Yatra to holy Sikh shrine – Shri Hemkunt Sahib also opens around the same time.
Traditionally Chardham Yatra is taken from west to east, which means the yatra starts from Yamunotri, proceeding to Gangotri, Kedarnath and then terminates at Badrinath.
The official announcement of opening of Char Dham Yatra is done by Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam (GMVN), a department of Uttrakhand Tourism, which manages tourist rest houses and other tourism activities in the Garhwal region.
The kapat (doors) of Char Dhams close as the winter sets in. Yamuntori Temple usually closes on Yama Dwitiya (the second day after Diwali). Gangotri Temple generally closes on the day of Diwali. The holy shrine of Kedarnath closes on Yama Dwitiya (the second day after Diwali) and Badrinath Temple closes on Vijaydashmi or Dusshera.
Char Dham Yatra 2017 Closing Dates
- Yamunotri Temple Closing Date : 20 Oct. 2017
- Gangotri Temple Closing Date: 19 Oct. 2017
- Kedarnath Temple Closing Date: 20 Oct. 2017
- Badrinath Temple Closing Date: 9 Oct. 2017
For more information you may contact:
Garhwal Mandal Vikas Nigam Ltd.,
74/1, Rajpur Road, Dehradun-248001.
Ph.: 91-135-2740896, 2746817, 2749308, 2748478