India recently launched visa on arrival and e-visa facility to boost inbound travel in India. With the launch of electronic visa (e-visa) facility, tourists from close to 43 countries can now apply for an Indian visa. This paves the way for a hassle free travel to India.
The Government of India has launched a dedicated website, which provides information on visa fees, visa status, visa application and other aspects of travelling to India. The website was launched by Rajnath Singh, Minister for Home Affairs, Government of India in the presence of Dr Mahesh Sharma, Minister of State with Independent Charge for Tourism & Culture and Minister of State for Civil Aviation, Government of India.
Foreign tourists travelling to India can now avail ETA (Electronic Travel Authorisation) through nine airports in the country. The application for ETA will be processed at the various counters of the airports set up by the Immigration Department in real time and ETA will be issued for eligible applicants within 3 days of the request being received.
At present tourists from 43 countries (names below) have access to this e-visa facility. Moreover, several more countries will be added in near future. The visa will allow entry of the tourists into India within 30 days from the date of approval of ETA and will be valid for 30 days stay in India from the date of arrival in the country.
Visa on arrival is available to the nationals of the following countries.
USA, Russia, UAE, Thailand, Luxembourg, Cambodia, Singapore, Australia, Brazil, Cook Islands, Djibouti, Fiji, Finland, Germany, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, Kiribati, Laos, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Myanmar, Nauru, New Zealand, Niue Island, Norway, Palestine, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Samoa, Solomon Islands,Tonga, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Vanuatu, Vietnam.
Eligibility to obtain visa on arrival to India
- International Travellers whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation , sight seeing , casual visit to meet friends or relatives, short duration medical treatment or casual business visit.
- Passport should have at least six months validity.
- International Travellers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket,with sufficient money to spend during his/her stay in India.
- International Travellers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular Visa at Indian Mission.
- Not available to Diplomatic/Official Passport Holders.
Documents required to obtain visa to India
Generally the following documents are required for obtaining Indian Visa. However, the requirement may vary from country to country.
- Original passport valid for at least 6 months
- Visa fee
- Two passport size photographs
- Supporting documents, where necessary
- Duly completed application form